Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Changing Impressions

With my life at Kansai Gaidai drawing to a close, it seems as good a time as any to reflect upon what I've seen and how my views have changed. My first impressions of Japan were marked by a "less than enthusiastic" attitude, but what about now? While I'm not the type of person to use quotes to make a point, I think this line from Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities is a great jumping off point: "I see a beautiful city and a brilliant people rising from this abyss..."

(People of all ages practice hanami. Young people are not the only ones who know how to have a good time.)

When I say "abyss," however, I don't mean it in the derogatory sense. No, I mean abyss in the sense that Japan is still an endless mystery to me. True, I've seen a lot and met dozens of people from all over Japan, but what does that count for? My opinions and views may have changed, but my experience still feels very limited.

(Club Zero's dance competition showcased the individuality of some Kansai Gaidai students. Too many people view Japanese people as a single homogeneous group.)

As for the first part of the quote, I do in fact think of Japan as a beautiful place with brilliant people. I've come appreciate Japan's literal (hanami!) and figurative (you can drink alcohol in public!) beauty. I've grown to admire the people as well. The ones I got to know personally have proved to be brilliantly flexible, independent, hardworking, and yet they all know when and how to party.

(I think Japan is one of the rare countries where a place like Arashiyama's Monkey Park could exist. The park embodies the human beauty of Japan by showcasing the country's natural beauty free of restraint.)

That being said, even now, I can't say I fully love Japan. I can say that I love the people I've come to know, and I love Osaka, and okonomiyaki, and takoyaki, but I don't see myself returning to Japan anytime soon. Maybe I'm homesick, or maybe I won't want to return until I'm gone, but for now I'm okay with leaving.

(A mural by an elementary school in Tokyo declares "we are all friends." Kindness and acceptance might not be inborn Japanese characteristics after all.)

Still, there is one thing I know for sure: I will forever miss my trips on the Osaka loop.

3 comments:

  1. nice post. I agree completely. I think to appreciate fully Japan I think you have to live it more and perhaps travel more and especially focus on the more Japanese than studying. I guess that is what been the limit for us :D. But yeah, I will miss the ppl, the food and the weather I guess, but except that I won't miss that much. Maybe that shows more what u appreciated about being here? Being with friends and having a good time. Have u met and befriended a real Japanese? I guess not. Therefore I guess u wont miss Japan :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll miss my Japanese friends, but missing the country itself is something different to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pragmatic and realistic wrap-up here: "it was the best of times and the worst of times" might also be fitting... I've enjoyed your observations throughout the semester. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete